Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Pasqua

Over the past few days I have walked in two processions, seen many a medieval costume, and gazed at a holy thorn from Jesus's Crown of Thorns. All in a weekend in Italy at Eastertime. Easter, Pasqua, is of course the main component in the Christian calendar, and to the Italians...it is bigger than Christmas. A time where we reflect on what Christ has done for us, so that we may live better lives through him. A time to contemplate the suffering in the world and forgive sins. A time to gather with family and friends...and that is just what we did. I did not have a chocolate Easter bunny, but I did have a delicious roasted rabbit at our pranzo di Pasqua along with a savory mix of homemade pasta al forno, roast lamb, and rosemary potatoes. I even ate a pigeon, a Colomba, the traditional dessert cake in the shape of a pigeon...complete with limoncello filling I might add. Yesterday, the Monday after Pasqua, was the topper of the weekend, Pasquetta...a wandering drive through the countryside, a gentle stroll through market stands, and a lazy night with a book cozy by the fire. Perfect ending to all the celebration if I don't say so myself.

1 comment:

sperlygirl said...

buona pasqua friend! sending you sunshine. xx s

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...